Friday, December 30, 2016

First Line Fridays


Happy Friday everyone!  I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas holiday.  Can you believe the year 2017 is just a few days away?!  What new year resolutions do you have for the upcoming year?  I know I usually have a list--the real problem though is sticking to the list.  Have you ever succeeded in keeping those promises to yourself all year long?  I'm sure most individuals break their goals somewhere during the middle of the year, but I would like to challenge you--and myself--this next year.  Let's plan on sticking to those items on our 2017 to-do list.  So when 2018 marks the pages of our calendar, we will have accomplished some healthy goals the previous year, which would be a wonderful achievement indeed.

I started reading a new book this week entitled Waves of Mercy by Lynn Austin.  I have read several books by Austin--each one better than the first--so I am excited to learn about the stories surrounding the two main characters--Anna Nicholson and Geeje de Jonge.  Please be sure to check out the book lines from these other amazing bloggers too:

Sydney from Singing Librarian
Rachel from Bookworm Mama
Andi from Radiant Light


Click the links above to be taken to their posts and...
If you would like to join us, send Carrie a message and let her know!

​Grab the book nearest to you and leave a comment with the first line!

Today I am going to post a line from:
  
Waves of Mercy 
by Lynn Austin 



And the first line is...

Lake Michigan 
1897
"I am living my nightmare.  A violent storm has overtaken our steamship, and as we mount high on the crest of a wave one moment, then plunge sickeningly into a watery trough the next, I am certain we are about to sink."

Happy reading and Happy New Year! 




   

13 comments:

  1. This week mine is from "Charles Brandon: The King's Man" by Sarah Bryson.

    "Charles Brandon was an enigmatic, charismatic man, rising from mere boyhood friend of a future king to flirting with a European duchess, marrying the Dowager Queen of France, being created the Duke of Suffolk, and not to mention becoming the leading magnate in Lincolnshire by the end of his life."

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Waves of Mercy. Happy Reading, Heather!

    I'm currently reading Seven Brides for Seven Texans collection from Barbour. Here's the first line of the novella I just started last night, A Love Returned by Keli Gwyn.

    Twelve years was a long time to wait for a tamale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too long! Mexican food is my favorite, and twelve years would be too long to wait for a taco too. :)

      Delete
    2. I agree!!! We eat taco, fajita, or enchilada at least once a week!

      Delete
  3. My world shattered last winter. A hairline crack formed, and my life perched on the edge of an abyss, set to topple at the slightest breeze. But instead of a breeze, I got a whirlwind...in the form of a positive pregnancy test. Justified by Varina Denman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow...I wasn't expecting those last few words! Very intriguing.

      Delete
  4. One Enchanted Eve by Melissa Tagg

    THE FIRST LINE:
    If Rylan Jefferson was lucky, after tonight she’d never have to see Colin Renwycke again.

    MY THOUGHTS:
    Love it. Hands down. Ms. Tagg has become my new favorite author—well, she’s in good company anyway. She had a skill with words that supersedes most I’v read, and she crafts a well-told story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to First Line Fridays! I have two books by Melissa Tagg on my Kindle that I need to read--both Christmas stories. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Heather!
    My first line comes from Laura Frantz's new book Moonbow Night.

    April 1777
    What cannot be cured must be endured.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andi! I got an email about that book--it looks good. Let me know what you think when you finish reading it. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. I'm definitely a Lynn Austen fan. Oh to write like that :)
    Here's my line.
    She would die today one way or another~ Giver of Wonders
    I very much enjoyed this Christmas novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Christmas novels! I will have to check this one out--what an intense first line.

      Delete