Friday, December 16, 2016

First Line Fridays


Happy Friday everyone!  Can you believe that Christmas is less than ten days away?!  I feel like the beginning of December starts out slow, but then all of a sudden it speeds up, and Christmas is here.  Have all of you finished your Christmas shopping?  Every year, I tell myself to purchases gifts throughout the year, but somehow I never really achieve that goal.  So, I end up fighting the crowds like everyone else, and this year in particular I have noticed that people tend to be a bit more impatient and rude, which makes me sad.

This is supposed to be a joyous time of the year, yet somehow we have allowed the craziness of life to dictate our mood and schedule.  Let's make it a point this year to be kinder to those around us.  Smile at the person checking you out at the grocery store--make polite conversation with the shopkeeper at the mall--and when you are dining out this month, be courteous to your waiter or waitress.  You never know what someone else may be going through, and especially at this time of the year--it is imperative to be kind to each other.

I try to read a couple of Christmas books throughout the month of December, and I found this lovely book at a used book sale.  Once I started reading it, I realized that there is a film based on the text--The Christmas Box with Richard Thomas and Maureen O'Hara.  I highly recommend checking it out this season.  Please be sure to check out the book lines from these other amazing bloggers too:

Sydney from Singing Librarian
Rachel from Bookworm Mama
Andi from Radiant Light


Click the links above to be taken to their posts and...
If you would like to join us, send Carrie a message and let her know!

​Grab the book nearest to you and leave a comment with the first line!

Today I am going to post a line from:

The Christmas Box 
by Richard Paul Evans 



And the first line is...

"It may be that I am growing old in this world and have used up more than my share of allotted words and eager audiences."   

 Happy reading and have a fabulous Friday!





9 comments:

  1. Here is my first line from A Rush of Wings by Kristen Heitzmann
    Noelle pressed her back into the textured wall and tensed, her breathing fast and shallow.

    HAPPY FRIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first line comes from Regina Jennings new book For the Record
    October 1885
    Pine Gap, Missouri

    Only a limited patch of Earth could claim the privilege of belonging to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to read this book! Have you read the two books before this one?

      Delete
  3. My Fist Line is from 'Henry III: The Son of Magna Carta' by Matthew Lewis. And it is actually a SHORT paragraph. Oops. Happy Friday!

    "King Henry III of England is a monarch who slips from the notice of history. Many famous events took place during his reign, but few would know that he was sitting on the throne at the time they occurred. He is overshadowed by events before his rule, great problems and even greater personalities during his kingship, and by the force of will that was his son and successor."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm late but this book just came in the mail yesterday! Woo!

    She was too softhearted to be an oil tycoon.
    Undeniably Yours by Becky Wade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a good day when a book comes in the mail! :) I haven't read any books by Becky Wade, but I need to add one of her books to my bookshelf. Any suggestions of which of her books to read first?

      Delete
    2. The Proposal novella AND Undeniably Yours (first book in the Potter Family series) are BOTH FREE on Kindle right now! I also love Becky's novella in To Have and To Hold and Betsy St. Amandt and Katie Ganshert have excellent novellas in that one too. Happy reading and Merry Christmas!

      Delete