Thursday, February 14, 2019

Author Interview and New Book Release - Kaitlin Covel



Josie Chadwick dreams of marrying for love in Cornwall, England, but with her father's debt threatening to destroy all she holds dear, her romantic options are dwindling. When her elder sister Delia is disowned, Josie finds herself heiress of Chadwick Park, torn between dreams and duty. After sacrificing her heart to atone for Delia's sin, Josie clings to the hope she will learn to love a distant husband, whom she fears is incapable of requiting her affection.

Charles Radcliffe's heart has been scarred and hardened by rejection. He fears hurting his new bride, but his fears of betrayal and rejection are stronger, making it impossible for him to trust her love―let alone the love of her God. 
As Josie and Charles face their new life together, ominous events warn of dark family secrets that could shatter them both. More than a loveless marriage is at stake if they cannot stand as one. Will they learn to trust God and each other before it's too late?






Kaitlin Covel has a thirst for adventure much like the heroines of her stories. She is an old-fashioned romantic, and if she could time travel to any historical period, it would be the Regency Era. Here in the 21st century, she is a certified Nutritional Therapy Technician, but writing is her passion, whether it's fiction or non-fiction. She has honed her craft since childhood, benefiting from the insights of other writers through professional writing associations such as the Jerry Jenkins Writer’s Guild and Hope*writers

She lives with her family in Maine, where she enjoys teaching the teen Sunday school class at her church. Her favorite things are family, books, history, chocolate, music, the ocean, and strong cups of tea.

For more information, please visit Kaitlin's website. You can also find her on TwitterInstagram, and Goodreads. 



1. I love that your book Atoning for Ashes is set in England!  I always say, the best books are set in England.  What inspired you to use a British setting?   

I think classic literature inspired me to use a British setting for my debut novel, especially books by Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, and Elizabeth Gaskell. I also really enjoy British period drama. My fingers were just itching to use such delightful British accents in character dialogue! 

2. Congratulations on your first novel!  What advice would you give other authors entering the publishing world?  

Believe in your God-given ability and talent as a writer! If you know writing is your calling, don’t let any obstacle hold you back whether it is time, money, confidence, resources, or something else! Feed the spark of inspiration burning deep inside and find a way to make your dream a reality. Take writing classes, join a critique group, write multiple short stories and novels, never stop reading, get a membership to ACFW, ask lots of questions, and believe in the power of your pen to tell a story no one else can tell! 

3. As a child, the library was one of my favorite places too--now I just buy all my books. :)  What are some of your favorite novels?  

I collect old books, and I truly enjoy classic literature. My favorite genre has always been Historical Fiction. It is difficult to narrow down my favorite novels, but I’ll give it a try: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, Lorna Doone by Richard Blackmoore, Pearl Maiden by H. Rider Haggard, Lysbeth by H. Rider Haggard, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, Lady Audley’s Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon, Lady Jayne Disappears by Joanna D. Politano, The House on Foster Hill by Jaime Jo Wright, Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens, The Lightkeeper’s Daughter by Colleen Coble, Courting Morrow Little by Laura Frantz, Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery, The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy, The Butterfly and the Violin by Kristy Cambron,The Secret of Pembrooke Park by Julie Klassen, and The Mark of the King by Jocelyn Green(Of course, this list could go on and on!) 

4. Literary history is one of my favorite genres to read, but is it difficult to write and research different eras?  

I didn’t find the research difficult once I found some good resources, but I did find it difficult to maintain an accurate cultural and historical perspective into the era as I wrote Atoning for Ashes. A woman’s station in life was much more restricted during the Regency Era, and the “independent” mindset so many women have today was taboo in Regency England.

5. Keeping Christ at the center of your writing is wonderful--what writing process and tips do you use in order to make this possible?  

That’s a great question! I prayerfully seek the Lord concerning which theme He would have me to incorporate in each story. Once I feel led to go with a certain theme, I do a word study in the Bible based on the theme. Then I narrow the list of verses down to the theme verse I want to highlight in my novel. I also try to seamlessly weave the message throughout the main characters’ dialogue and growth as an individual throughout the story so that it doesn’t come across as “preachy”. 





2 comments:

  1. So Love getting to know Kaitlin, thank you for sharing this interview with us. This is also my first time on your blog !!! Love it
    Linda Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure--thank you for the kind words Linda! Happy reading!

      Delete