Friday, December 14, 2018

First Line Fridays


After reading the opening lines for this week's book, here are my thoughts.  There are no opening comments I need to make, because the beginning statements of this book make the perfect start for First Line Fridays this December.  Happy reading and Merry Christmas friends! 

Grab the book nearest to you and leave a comment with the first line!

Today I am going to post a line from: 

  Three Christmas Novellas  
by Mary Connealy



And the first line is...

"And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David)...And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord...The shepherds said to one another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.  And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger...The star, which they say in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was." 

Luke 2:4, 2:10-11, 2:15b-16; Matthew 2:9b


Longhorn Christmas 

Big Bend Region, Texas 
November 1865
"The trouble with lassoing a Texas cyclone was--now you had a cyclone on the end of your rope.  Then what was she going to do with it?"  

Happy reading and happy Friday!   

Let me know your first line in the comments & then head over to Hoarding Books  to see who else is participating! 








8 comments:

  1. Happy Friday! Over on my blog I'm sharing the first line from My Heart Belongs in the Blue Ridge by Pepper Basham. Here I'll share the first line from Chapter 13 of the same book.

    "Laurel hadn't left the house in three days. Neither had anyone else."

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read several of the My Heart Belongs books, and each of them have been wonderful! I will have to check this one out. Merry Christmas Trisha!

      Delete
  2. Happy Friday!🎄🎅

    My first lines come from Lowcountry Bookshop by Susan M Boyer.......

    The dead are prone to secrecy. Eighteen years ago, my best friend Colleen took the outbound train to the next world. She’s seen behind the curtain, knows the answers to a great many questions. But since she’s been back in her role as guardian spirit, she can’t share this information with me. It’s against the rules, that’s what she tells me.

    Have an awesome weekend and happy reading!📚😊💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mystery...yeah! This sounds like a great story. Merry Christmas Susan!

      Delete
  3. That's an awesome first line!!! I'm sharing the first line from Hope for Christmas by Elizabeth Maddrey on my blog today and I'm currently on chapter 7 so I'll share the first line from that chapter here. "Cyan chuckled as Calvin made kissing noises to try and attract the attention of one of the horses."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute--that is a fun fist line! Merry Christmas Ellie!

      Delete
  4. I'm a little late going around this weekend but I've had a couple busy days leading up to my extended family Christmas with my in-laws today. The book I shared on my blog this week is Between Two Shores by Jocelyn Green releasing in Feb 2019 but I haven't been able to start my next read yet so I don't have an extra line to share. I hope you have a great weekend and are able to get some quality reading time in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many wonderful books coming out next year! Some that I am super excited about, because they are the second book to some of the series I have read. :) Merry Christmas Becca!

      Delete