Friday, April 26, 2019

First Line Fridays


This week, I have been watching Downton Abbey again, so I thought I would share a classic piece of literature today.  Charles Dickens, who is one of my favorite authors, wrote so many wonderful novels, and I am so excited to say that I had the pleasure of visiting his home in London several years ago.  Classic literature will always be my favorite, because outside the Bible, it is the basis for all good stories.  As writers, our experiences and our reading influences what we write, and what better person to be our influence other than Dickens?  Happy reading friends! 

Grab the book nearest to you and leave a comment with the first line!

Today I am going to post a line from: 

  The Old Curiosity Shop
by Charles Dickens 



And the first line is...

"Night is generally my time for walking.  In the summer I often leave home early in the morning, and roam about fields and lanes all day, or even escape for days or weeks together; but, saving in the country, I seldom go out until after dark, though, Heaven be thanked, I love its light and feel the cheerfulness it sheds upon the earth, as much as any creature living."  

Happy reading and happy Friday!   

Let me know your first line in the comments & then head over to Hoarding Books to see who else is participating! 






8 comments:

  1. Over on my blog I’m sharing the first line from Amber Lynn Perry’s new book, Upon My Heart Forever. Here I’ll share with you the first line from Chapter 9 of the same book.

    “The edges of her carefully constructed barrier sloughed away, despite her misgivings.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be picking up this book when it comes out on the 30th! Happy reading Trisha!

      Delete
  2. Happy Friday!

    Today on my blog, I am sharing the first line from Moments We Forget by Beth Vogt. You can check that out here: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2019/04/25/first-line-friday-84/. I'm currently on chapter 20, so I will share the first couple of lines from there.

    "I should do something more to make today feel festive -- more Christmassy. But turning Spotify to holiday music would have to do."

    Hope you have a great weekend. Happy reading! ��❤️��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with that line! Did you see that Hallmark is playing Christmas movies? :) Happy reading Nicole!

      Delete
  3. Today I'm sharing from Ladies of Intrigue, a collection of three novellas by Michelle Griep. Here's the first line of the third novella, A House of Secrets:

    "He's late. Are you worried?"

    Happy Friday and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading this book now...it's so good! Happy reading Yvette!

      Delete
  4. Sounds interesting! Today I'm sharing the first line from Never Let Go by Elizabeth Goddard.

    "Nursing scrubs? Check. White snearkers? Check. Keycard? Check."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2019/04/first-line-fridays-never-let-go-by.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This first line sounds like me when I leave the house...phone-check, purse-check, keys-check. :) Happy reading Jolene!

      Delete