Friday, March 10, 2017

First Line Fridays


This week, I am looking at The Silent Songbird by Melanie Dickerson.  I am so excited to read this book, because this fairy-tale story is about The Little Mermaid, which is one of my favorite Disney princesses.  :)  Last year, I read and reviewed Dickerson's novel The Golden Braid.  After that, I purchased the rest of her books in her fairy-tale series, and I highly recommend this set of books to anyone.  Especially, if you love stories showcasing themes of romance, intrigue, and adventure for its characters. As always, please be sure to check out the book lines from these other amazing bloggers too:    

Sydney from Singing Librarian
Rachel from Bookworm Mama
Andie from Radiant Light
Katie from Fiction Aficionado
Kathleen from Kathleen Denly
Lauraine from Lauraine's Notes 
Amanda from With a Joyful Noise  
 
And I want to welcome Jessica to the First Line Fridays fun!   

Jessica from A Baker's Perspective  

Click the links above to be taken to their posts and...
If you would like to join us, send Carrie a message and let her know!

​Grab the book nearest to you and leave a comment with the first line!

Today I am going to post a line from:
 
The Silent Songbird 
by Melanie Dickerson
 


And the first line is...

Summer 1384.  
Berkhamsted Castle, Hertfordshire, England 

Servants may marry whomever they want, but a king's ward has no freedom at all.  

"Evangeline broke off the song she was singing.  A lump rose in her throat."  

Happy reading and happy Friday!  






12 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot about this series. I really should check them out!

    My first line today comes from Karen Sargent's 'Waiting For Butterflies':

    "Maggie heard the key in the front door and looked at the clock on the nightstand: 1:48 a.m. Nearly twenty four hours had passed since the phone had jarred her awake and Sam out of bed."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend Dickerson's books! She has two other series as well...A Medieval Fairy-Tale Series and The Regency Spies of London.

      Delete
  2. This series is on my wish list!

    Five minutes earlier...

    THERE IS A MOMENT, JUST BEFORE EVERY STORM, when the entire world pauses.
    Siren's Fury by Mary Weber

    Happy Friday and Happy Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to check out Dickerson's other two series as well. I really enjoyed The Beautiful Pretender. Happy Friday! :)

      Delete
  3. I am a tea queen too!!! Thanks for featuring my book! I hope you like it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scones and hot tea are the best! Can we just adopt high tea as a daily ritual?! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy Friday!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed Evangeline's story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear! I can't wait to finish reading this book! :) I'm working on finishing The Elusive Miss Ellison at present.

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to read Melanie Dickerson lately. I've read two of hers, and have about five I've not read yet? I'm not a huge romance fan, but I absolutely love medieval!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love medieval, you should definitely read The Beautiful Pretender. It was in my Top Ten List of Books for 2016. :)

      Delete
  6. I think this is a series I would love. I may be adding these to my TBR list. Belle was my favorite of the 90s princesses (Ariel, Jasmin, Belle), though Merida is my favorite newer princess. My Eleanor prefers Elsa (because Anna makes poor life choices. And yes, my three year old will tell you that too, haha). Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny! If you love Belle, you should read The Merchant's Daughter...I know it is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. :)

      Delete